When the cold days and long nights draw in, we all get the urge to put on a steaming hot creamy tomato soup pan. Nothing quite like it, to warm you to your bones. Roasting the tomatoes first with garlic, onion cayenne pepper helps it intensifies their flavors, and the charred edges give a lovely smoke quality to the finished soup; then, the sun-dried tomato pesto at the end is another big hearty flavor booster.
It is easy to pick up a tin or a carton at the supermarket. But making a homemade rich, creamy soup from scratch has never been easier with Gordon Ramsey’s tomato soup recipe. I was surprised not only at how simple it was to make but at how heavenly it tasted, and it didn’t take me all day to do it (nor did I need thousands of ingredients).
I love eating savory soup such as roast tomato basil soup with some rustic bread and sandwiches such as grilled cheese sandwiches when the weather is cold! Here are the details of how you can rustle up a bowl at home. Thanks for reading!
Learn from culinary masters such as Gordon Ramsay, Gabriela Cámara, Chef Thomas Keller, Yotam Ottolenghi, Dominique Ansel, Alice Waters, etc. With the Annual MasterClass Membership, you can become a better chef.
I’ve used and recommend both cookware sets, the ScanPan 10-Piece Cookware Set and the All-Clad Tri-Ply Stainless Steel Cookware; both are well-made pans with a solid, heavy bottom, heat fast, and they get the job done. Visit the ScanPan or All-Clad on Amazon.
Best Roasted Creamy Tomatoes Soup Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- On medium heat, place a roasting tray on the hob. Add the garlic, onions, and cayenne pepper first. Make sure your onions are well coated with olive oil, and cook for 5 minutes. A pinch of salt and pepper, brown sugar, and balsamic vinegar should be added to the tomatoes that have been cored and halved. Stir it well and bake for 25 minutes. Continue cooking the tomatoes for another 5 minutes or until they have begun to caramelize.
- Remove the roasting tin from the oven after 25 minutes and place it back on the back burner at medium heat. Add the vegetable stock and heat until boiling, then simmer for a few minutes. Stir in the double cream and simmer for two more minutes.
- If you prefer a chunky rustic soup, you can use a potato masher to ‘blend’ your soup to a thick consistency. The flavors will all mix in your soup rather than if you blend it. When using a stick blender straight in the pan, you can achieve a traditional cream blend.
Homemade Sundried Tomato Pesto Recipe
- In a pan, toast the pine nuts until golden brown and crispy.
- Grind the sun-dried tomatoes in a mortar and pestle until you have an oily paste.
- Add a pinch of pepper and the pine nuts and continue grinding until you obtain the desired consistency for your pesto.
- Grate the parmesan cheese and add a dash of olive oil (you can also add some tomato oil to give it a little extra flavor.) You should have four heaping teaspoons to add to your tomato soup!
Can I Put Milk in My Tomato Soup?
Even though the tomato soup is delicious by itself, the addition of milk will substantially increase the richness of this dish. According to tradition, the best way to achieve the perfect creaminess of broth is to use milk rather than other ingredients, such as heavy cream or milk.
According to epicurious.com, You can enhance the flavor of tomato soup by adding just a pinch of sugar to cooked tomato dishes or pasta sauces. It also helps to bring out the natural sweetness of the tomatoes, especially when the tomatoes are not as good ripe as they might be.
Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup Gordon Ramsay
There is just something about grilled cheese and tomato soup that makes it a perfect combination, though any sandwich or salad goes great with this recipe.