Gordon Ramsay Fish and Chips is a traditional English meal. The fish is coated with a beer batter that produces a crunchy and delightful texture, as the internal structure of the fish is delicate and flaky. One of the features of this fish and chip recipe that creates a difference from any other that you’ll discover is the addition of mushy peas. (Also see Gordon Ramsay’s Crab Cakes and Creamed Corn & Asparagus)
The ideal fish and chips can only be reached when the beer batter is right. I have discovered that denser beer batter can make the fish wet when frying since the oil should pass through the beer batter to cook the fish, so make the beer batter somewhat thinner in texture than waffle and pancake batter. Learn how to How Perfectly Pan Sear Scallops)
Equipment You Need To Make Gordon Ramsay Fish And Chips
- Large Bowls: In one bowl, mix the batter, and in another bowl, mix some dry flour.
- Large Skillet: Pour oil into a large skillet set over heat. The fish and chips are fried in this way.
- Paper Towels: Using paper towels, remove the excess oil after frying. You don’t want the entire meal to be oil-based when you dine on fish and chips.
- Whisk, Tongs, Knife, and Slotted Spoon: To make the batter, use a whisk. Using tongs, gently place the fish in the hot oil. Cut the fillets and potatoes with the knife. Remove the fried goods from the oil using a slotted spoon.
I use a T-Fal Deep Fryer with a Basket. I’ve been using mine for a few months and love it. As far as I can tell, the filter is a built-in wire mesh type and doesn’t need to be replaced. It is helpful to clean the chamber independently without worrying about getting wet electrical parts.
I’ve used and recommend both cookware sets, the ScanPan 10-Piece Cookware Set and the All-Clad Tri-Ply Stainless Steel Cookware; both are well-made pans with a solid, heavy bottom, heat fast, and they get the job done. Visit the ScanPan or All-Clad on Amazon. (Learn more about Gordon Ramsay’s Kitchen Essential Tools)
How to Make Gordon Ramsay Fish and Chips
If you make this fish and chips recipe, you’ll need to make all the elements, including Gordon Ramsay’s famous mushy peas, to have the same experience you would get at Gordon Ramsay Fish and Chips restaurants.
- Mix the rice flour and the 00 flour, salt, baking soda, and sugar in a medium-sized bowl. After that, add in the soda water and the more extensive beer.
- Blend all the ingredients until they are well mixed but be cautious not to over-mix the beer batter since a heavy batter will be visible on your fish.
- Now Coat the fish well in the flour, I choose to use cod for this recipe, but you can use another type of fish you like. Then dip the fish in the batter to coat.
- Place the beer-battered cod fish aside and heat the oil in your frying pan to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. After the oil has reached the temperature, cook the fish for about 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Cut the Yukon Gold potatoes into thin wedge-sized slices that will get crispy without difficulty in a deep fryer. Then fry wedge slices in oil at 350 degrees till golden brown and crispy. Set aside.
How to Make Gordon Ramsay Mush Peas
- Boil water, adding salt to the water to flavor the peas. Add two cups of peas and allow them to continue cooking until they boil again. (Las Vegas Gordon Ramsay Restaurants: Steak, Seafood, Pub Fare and More)
- When they are cooked, place the peas on top. Add cream, butter, salt, and pepper to the peas, and pulse them until they are the consistency you’d like the peas to be. Suppose you want a softer consistency but still thick with small pieces of peas.
- Adjust seasonings to taste and serve immediately with fish and chips.
A few York and Albany classics !! @GordonRamsayGRR pic.twitter.com/R67Y2qmso2— Gordon Ramsay (@GordonRamsay) July 14, 2021