Time spent to get the kitchen getting ready is not a waste of time. Get out the ingredients and the equipment you need, mise-en-place is French for “everything in its place” is important. It keeps you on a clear path and eliminates the stress out of cooking. Without it, any professional kitchen would be dead in the water, and it is similarly vital for the home chefs. Get mise-en-place correct, and you will be way ahead of the game.
Gordon Ramsay Essential List Of Kitchen Tools
1. Gordon Ramsay ScanPan Nonstick Pans: 8″ for eggs and omelets and 12″ with lid for general frying Gordon use ScanPan brand pans, but any reliable, good quality heavy bottom pans you can afford will work) Saucepans – Nonstick: A 4 qt. and a 6 to 8 qt.
Buy: ScanPan 10-Piece Cookware Set, at Amazon
2. Cast-Iron Skillet: Cast iron is great for searing or blackening food quickly on very high heat and stays hot. If it’s seasoned correctly, it will release food just like a nonstick surface.
Buy: Lodge 15″ Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet, at Amazon
3. Dutch Oven: Much like the more commonly seen cast iron pots and pans, a heavyweight Dutch Oven will be a piece of kitchen equipment that will last you a lifetime.
Buy: Le Creuset Enameled Cast Iron Signature Round at Amazon
4. Chef’s knife: Gordon Ramsay uses both Wüsthof and Henckels branded knives; he says a small set of good quality knives is better than a full drawer of dull, low-quality knives.
5. Boning Knife: For cutting around meat and bone.), Paring Knife: Gordon Ramsay uses for peeling fruit and cutting small vegetables, and Serrated Bread Knife.
Buy: Henckels Zwilling Pro 7-pc Knife Block Set, at Amazon
6. Knife Sharper and Honing Steel: (for keep knives sharp).
Buy: Chef’s Choice Pro Electric Knife Sharpener at Amazon
7. Wood Block Cutting Board: Gordon uses is a Boos Block Cutting Board, and he suggests buying any sizeable wooden cutting board at least 24″ x 18″ in size; this is not susceptible to slipping when using.
8. Digital Scale: Gordon Ramsay uses a digital scale with a large display, both imperial and metric measurements, and a tare function, which allows you to subtract the weight of the container and show only the value of the food being measured.
Buy: Stainless Steel Food Scale at OXO Direct
9. Food Processor: Gordon Ramsay uses for making pasta dough, pastry, and crumble toppings. Choose a processor with a low starting speed as some are too powerful and will blow your flour and icing sugar around the room when you switch them on.
Buy: Cuisinart 14-Cup Food Processor at Amazon
10. Blender: A good blender should be a part of everyone’s kitchen essentials, It’s not just for soups and smoothies but also for producing silky-smooth purees, making aioli, and emulsifying dressing.
Buy: Vitamix Smart Blender, at Amazon
11. Probe Thermometer: A handy device that takes the guesswork out of cooking meat. There are two types: instant-read thermometers for a one-off reading, or alarm thermometers that will tell you when the temperature reaches a preset level. A probe thermometer is useful if you are roasting meat, for example, and want to be sure it is cooked at the center.
Buy: Classic Super-Fast Thermapen at ThermoWorks Direct
12. Pestle and Mortar: Gordon Ramsay uses for crushing and grinding herbs and spices. It gives a course, more earthy texture than using an electric blender, which is ideal for Asian cooking. It is also great for pounding garlic to a paste. Choose a mortar with a large bowl and a heavy-weight pestle.
Buy: ChefSofi Mortar and Pestle Set at Amazon
13. Microplane Zester: Not just for zesting oranges and lemons, but Gordon Ramsay uses puréeing garlic or fresh ginger.
14. Whisks: Gordon Ramsay uses Electric whisks for meringues and sponges, but a free hand balloon whisk gives you much more control and makes it less likely you will overwhip the cream.
15. Strainer or Sieve: Essential for straining stocks and sauces or for draining vegetables, choose one with a long handle, and a balancing hook so that you can rest it over a deep bowl or pan.