Anyone who has made grilled cheese knows that the best method is to cook it slowly and steadily. For the cheese to be melted, the bread must be exposed to heat for a sufficient amount of time. In a live-fire oven, Gordon throws it directly on the coals.
Over medium-high heat, add a touch of olive oil to a cast iron pan and a sandwich. Push the sandwich so it crisps, and the cheese melts after about 30-45 seconds. Push down and flip until the cheese is melted. Flip the slices after about 2 minutes once they are nice and crunchy.
American grilled cheese is usually made with white and American bread, but this isn’t your traditional cheese. (but I love adding sharp cheddar, too)! Cheddar, real provolone, creamy processed cheeses, or leftover brie from last night’s party; Any variety will do!
Served with a bowl of creamy roasted tomato soup, you have a meal!
Want to Learn More About Cooking?
With the Annual MasterClass Membership, you can become a better chef. Gordon Ramsay, Gabriela Cámara, Chef Thomas Keller, Dominique Ansel, Yotam Ottolenghi, Alice Waters, and other world-class chefs teach exclusive video lessons to members.
Gordon Ramsay’s Top 15 Kitchen Essentials
I’ve used and recommend both cookware sets, the ScanPan 10-Piece Cookware Set and the All-Clad Tri-Ply Stainless Steel Cookware; both are well-made pans with a solid, heavy bottom, heat fast, and they get the job done. Visit the ScanPan or All-Clad on Amazon.
Best Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
- The cheese should be sliced into “bricks” and then sliced down to fit the bread.
- Make sure that you slice the bread thinly enough not to become soggy.
- Season the outside parts of your slices with salt and butter. Fold over one side and will add kimchi. On the other side, add cheese to both sides and then trim (in the video, Gordon uses Romano and Pepperberry. If you wish to use the Romano, add a hint of pink peppercorn).
- Over medium-high heat, add a touch of olive oil to a cast iron pan and a sandwich. Push down and flip until the cheese is melted. The sandwich will crisp and melt after 30 to 45 seconds. The slices should be nice and crunchy after about two minutes.
- After the cheese appears melted, serve it out of the pan!
What Do you Eat with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches?
Tomato soup: This classic side dish is perfect for any occasion. If you dip your cheese sandwich into a creamy bowl of roasted tomato soup, everything will taste a bit better and much cheesier!
Salad: Grilled cheese salad must accompany a fresh arugula salad with pecans, pears, and GO VEGGIES! I think it tastes much better, and you cannot argue with that! Mozzarella-style shreds that are dairy-free.