Anyone who has made grilled cheese knows that the best method is to cook it slowly and steadily. For the cheese to be melted, the bread has to be exposed to heat for a sufficient amount of time. In a live-fire oven, Gordon throws it directly on the coals.
Over medium-high heat, add a touch of olive oil to a cast iron pan and then add a sandwich. Push the sandwich so it crisps and the cheese melts after about 30-45 seconds. Flip the slices after about 2 minutes, once they are nice and crunchy. Push down and flip until the cheese is melted.
American grilled cheese is usually made with white bread and American cheese but this isn’t your traditional grilled cheese. (but I love adding sharp cheddar, too)! Cheddar, real provolone, creamy processed cheeses, or leftover brie from last night’s party; Any variety will do!
Served with a bowl of creamy roasted tomato soup and you have a meal!
Best Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
- The cheese should be sliced into “bricks” and then sliced down to fit the bread
- Make sure that you slice the bread thinly enough so that it does not become soggy
- Season the outside parts of your slices with salt and butter. On the other side, add cheese to both sides and then trim (in the video Gordon uses Romano and Pepperberry. If you wish to use the Romano, add a hint of pink peppercorn). Fold over one side, and kimchi will be added.
- Over medium-high heat, add a touch of olive oil to a cast iron pan and then add a sandwich. The sandwich will crisp and melt after 30 to 45 seconds. The slices should be nice and crunchy after about two minutes. Push down and flip until the cheese is melted.
- After the cheese appears melted, take it out of the pan and serve it!
What Do you Eat with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches?
Tomato soup: Served with grilled cheese sandwiches, this classic side dish is perfect for any occasion. If you dip your cheese sandwich into a creamy bowl of creamy roasted tomato soup, everything will taste just a little bit better, and a whole lot cheesier!
Salad: Grilled cheese salad needs to be accompanied by a fresh arugula salad with pecans, pears, and GO VEGGIES! Mozzarella-style shreds that are dairy-free. In my opinion, it tastes much better, and you cannot argue with that!