Anyone who has made grilled cheese knows that the best method is to cook it slowly and steadily. For the cheese to be melted, the bread must be exposed to heat for a sufficient amount of time. In a live-fire oven, Gordon throws it directly on the coals.
Over medium-high heat, add a touch of olive oil to a cast iron pan and then add a sandwich. Push the sandwich, so it crisps and the cheese melts after about 30-45 seconds. Flip the slices after about 2 minutes, once they are nice and crunchy. Push down and flip until the cheese is melted.
American grilled cheese is usually made with white bread and American cheese, but this isn’t your traditional grilled cheese. (but I love adding sharp cheddar, too)! Cheddar, real provolone, creamy processed cheeses, or leftover brie from last night’s party; Any variety will do!
Served with a bowl of creamy roasted tomato soup, and you have a meal!
Learn from culinary masters such as Gordon Ramsay, Gabriela Cámara, Chef Thomas Keller, Yotam Ottolenghi, Dominique Ansel, Alice Waters, etc. With the Annual MasterClass Membership, you can become a better chef.
I’ve used and recommend both cookware sets, the ScanPan 10-Piece Cookware Set and the HexClad 7-Piece Hybrid; both are well-made pans with a solid, heavy bottom, heat fast, and they get the job done. Visit the ScanPan or HexClad on Amazon.
Best Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
- The cheese should be sliced into “bricks” and then sliced down to fit the bread.
- Make sure that you slice the bread thinly enough not to become soggy.
- Season the outside parts of your slices with salt and butter. Fold over one side and will add kimchi. On the other side, add cheese to both sides and then trim (in the video, Gordon uses Romano and Pepperberry. If you wish to use the Romano, add a hint of pink peppercorn).
- Over medium-high heat, add a touch of olive oil to a cast iron pan and then add a sandwich. Push down and flip until the cheese is melted. The sandwich will crisp and melt after 30 to 45 seconds. The slices should be nice and crunchy after about two minutes.
- After the cheese appears melted, take it out of the pan and serve it!
What Do you Eat with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches?
Tomato soup: This classic side dish is perfect for any occasion. If you dip your cheese sandwich into a creamy bowl of roasted tomato soup, everything will taste just a little bit better and a lot cheesier!
Salad: Grilled cheese salad needs to be accompanied by a fresh arugula salad with pecans, pears, and GO VEGGIES! Mozzarella-style shreds that are dairy-free. In my opinion, it tastes much better, and you cannot argue with that!